"In life you can choose two paths; The path of least resistance,
or the path you cannot resist."
"NEVER RESIST."

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cape Coasts Castles & Canopies!

This weekend I traveled to Cape Coast with all of my classmates!
Being that it was an NYU organized trip, I can't say that it was as wild as my adventure to Takoradi, but it was certainly a great trip and a welcomed change of pace.

My classmates and I boarded the bus to Cape Coast at 5:30am on Saturday. We were to arrive at our hotel at 8:30 for a buffet breakfast and then we were headed off to the Elmina Castle and Kakum Nation Park. Unlike my previous trip, there were no surprises, everything went according to the plan. Ok, well there was one surprise....

I popped my headphones in and braced myself for the drive as we pulled out of our gated driveway at 5:30am. I had never been out this early and I watched as the people of Accra woke to the morning sun. It was at this ungodly hour that I witnessed a side to Accra that I was surprised to find existed. For mere moments, Accra had undertones of New York City. The normal leisurely pace of Accra was absent on this Saturday morning, as people hustled to their places of business. This quick pace, exclusive to the few moments before the sun peaks out from behind the horizon, comforted me. 

As we drove along, I noted a number of people in traditional funeral garments and remembered that Saturday was the day of funerals, making it a seemingly appropriate day to be visiting the Elmina Castle. From my bus window I watched this strange new world, no longer so strange to me, pass by as I listened to  Coldplay and Michael Buble, constant reminders of home. 

After a fantastic breakfast at the Coconut Beach Resort, we headed for Elmina Castle. For those of you that do not know, Elmina Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, was the first trading post built on the Gulf of Guinea. By the 17th century, Elmina Castle played a significant role in the Atlantic Slave Trade, acting as a depot where slaves were brought. 

Poorly behaved slaves were placed in this cell
and were only let out as a corpse.


It is safe to say that everyone, myself included, had a lot of pre-meditated emotions going into the Elmina Castle visit. As a group, not all to familiar with one another, we did not know quite what to expect from this emotionally charged experience. I can say now, after the experience, that there is no other group in the world that I would have rather been with for that experience. I was genuinely proud of and impressed with the respect and maturity that my classmates displayed as we toured the castle.  

The slave women that resisted rape were
chained to that ball as a form of humiliation.


To describe the amalgam of feelings that overcame me, while walking through the Elmina Castle, would be impossible. There is not a single emotion that, at the time, I would have been able to pull from the tangle. I feel that I would be doing the experience an injustice if I were to try to do so. One must simply go and experience it. What I can say is that as I left the Elmina Castle I found myself overcome by fear; fear of the cruelty that humanity is capable of. Even today, slavery is not a thing of the past. 

"In everlasting memory of the anguish of our ancestors.
May those who died rest in peace.
May those who return find their roots.
May humanity never again perpetuate such injustice against humanity.
We the living how to uphold this"


Here is where the surprise comes in:
While at the Elmina Castle I ran into a familiar face from Takoradi! I could not believe my eyes when I saw Donavon, the South African from the Green Turtle Lodge, walk past me. I literally did not believe my eyes and convinced myself it was not him. It was not till he looked over at me and laughed that I accepted it was him. What were the chances?

Donavon! What are you doing here? But seriously....What are you doing here?


From the Elmina Castle we departed for Kakum National Park. My excitement level for Kakum National Park was quite high, as I had seen photographs of friends on the famous canopy walk ways there and I could not wait to get on one myself! 

The canopy walkway is a series of hanging bridges 40 meters off the ground. There is a total of 7 bridges stretching cumulatively 330 meters. It is only a short hike up to the first bridge and then your on your own to cross over these bridges. It was AMAZING! I loved every step I took, as wobbly as they were. This was clearly evident in the stupid grin I could not wipe off my face as I walked along.



After a long day of activities we returned to our hotel for a delicious dinner on the beach and some palm wine. After dinner, and OK maybe before dinner as well, we found our way to the bar. Pina Coladas seemed to be the drink of the night. Man, oh man, were they yummy. I was reminded of my Grammpy (who's birthday it just was!) as I drank down Jack Daniels and Pina Coladas. I was in paradise.

As people began to unwind from the day, we broke out the music. THEN we broke out the dancing....SO MUCH DANCING! Everyone was covered in sweat and there was no sign of our dancing feet letting up anytime soon.

The next morning, after quite possibly my best night of sleep ever, I had a delicious breakfast by the ocean. Quickly following that I hit the pool. Note to self: while living on the equator, sunscreen is a must. Don't worry mom and dad, I learned my lesson. I always have insisted on learning things the hard way huh?

Lounging pool side!
Pre- Sunburn....I could not manage to keep
my eyes open for a single picture.

At 1:30 we left the beautiful Coconut Grove Hotel and headed home. Funny the places you find yourself calling home....

I need aloe ...STAT!

1 comment:

  1. Devin,
    You are having way too much fun on this trip. Your blog is a treat to read and such an incredible way to memorialize this experience. Clearly you are taking big bites here. Your mom is such a wise woman as you know.

    So how do I order one of those dresses! Love it. I'll send you a check for 100 of them in every size, fabric and style and sell them in Chatham next summer. Seriously, I'd love to send you some money for Ghana shopping. If your mom visits in October, maybe she can bring a few things back in her suitcase. I'm admiring the local art and artisans. You can skip the pancake mix. And those children are beautiful. Is there a high rate of orphans in Ghana? By what circumstance? Aids, domestic violence, abandonment or other social issues? How are they supported financially? I'd love to hear more about the politics in Ghana and the social structure of the family and the role of women. I know you'll be delving into this stuff in class- it's all fascinating to me. Makes us realize we are but a tiny speck of humanity in the universe. Thanks for sharing your travels with such vivid detail, pictures and insight.

    Keep the snakes off your neck!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete